The Bridge Project - Social support of prisoners before and after release
Donor: European Union Implemented by: AFEW
Partners: NGO "Ranar", NGO "Rans Plus" Duration: 1 February 2012 - 30 September 2012
Project goal: Assist in the development of systematic mechanism for social support of prisoners before and after release, as well as their subsequent rehabilitation.
Target groups: Institutions that are involved in the process of working with inmates in the transition period (State Penal System, prisons, NGOs), decision makers at the municipal, provincial and national levels (including Members of the Kyrgyzstan Parliament).
- Developed legal documents on effective measures to prepare prisoners for release and their subsequent reintegration
- Penal system staff regularly trained at the training center
- Expanded access of prisoners to quality legal, social and healthcare support.
- Establishment of a Working Group to develop regulations to institutionalise a mechanism of social support for prisoners during transitional period.
- Extensive discussion of proposed documents with interested parties
- Development of training courses on effective methods of working with inmates in transitional period and human rights, as well as introduction of these courses in the curriculum of State Penal System's Training Centre
- Development and implementation of a series of trainings on social reintegration of prisoners in transitional period
- Support for three social bureaus and two social rehabilitation centres for persons released from prison, as well as development of income-generating activities on their premises.