AFEW International is an international network of civil society organisations that is dedicated to improving the health of key populations. With a focus on Eastern Europe and Central Asia, AFEW International strives to promote health and increase access to prevention, treatment and care for public health concerns such as HIV, TB, viral hepatitis, and sexual and reproductive health and rights.
We seek to do this by:
- Advocating for human rights for key populations and protecting their rights to health.
- Decreasing the stigma of HIV/AIDS by providing information to community leaders and creating a supportive environment.
- Utilising innovative strategies to promote healthy behaviours.
- Engaging communities in developing participatory approaches.
OUR GOALS AND AMBITIONS
- Advance the ability of key populations to access health services without stigma and discrimination.
- Mobilize and support communities and NGOs to improve the health of key populations specifically with regards to HIV, TB, hepatitis and sexual and reproductive health.
- Ensure that AFEW is strong, sustainable and linked to international organisations and networks.
OUR VISION AND CORE VALUES
- AFEW is a learning organisation in the broadest sense of the word
Learning from best-practice experiences elsewhere in the world and from knowledge gained in EECA, AFEW develops innovative tools and approaches adapted to a specific context. AFEW builds upon its own practical experience within the region, strives for ongoing improvements in its practices, and manages and transfers knowledge to the relevant stakeholders.
- AFEW strengthens the capacity of professionals in EECA
AFEW strengthens the capacity of professionals in the region through the adoption of effective methods of HIV prevention, treatment, care and support given the specific circumstances in their countries. AFEW sees its role as providing assistance in such a way that appropriate action is taken, with the objective of strengthening local capacity and ensuring that the final responsibility remains with those in the society itself.
- AFEW is fundamentally a humanitarian organisation
Through its work practices, AFEW contributes to the development of just, compassionate, open and democratic societies, firmly based on the principles of social justice, which affirms the dignity of each human being and emphasises the need for tolerance and co-operation.
- AFEW is a transparent and accountable organisation
AFEW is fully transparent in terms of its structure, planning, decision-making, reporting and fundraising.
- AFEW believes in compassion and the professionalism of its staff and this is reflected in our actions.