AFEW International is seeking applications for the position of Board Member to attend Board meetings and provide constructive input by offering specific expertise on the subjects of AFEW International’s activities.
The Board consists of a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, a Treasurer and four other members. Board members are not paid any form of honorarium and thus work on a voluntary basis. Board members are elected for a three-year period which is renewable for one additional term.
The Board approves the organisation’s strategy, annual workplan and the budget, as well as advising the Managing Board on strategic issues, including fundraising. The Board meets at least four times a year (three times by teleconference and 1 time during a face to face meeting) and provides technical and strategic guidance on overall objectives, major programs, partnerships, and on monitoring & evaluation. AFEW International fully complies with the code of good practice for charitable organisations in the Netherlands; the Code Wijffels. The Board is charged with overseeing the overall operation of the organization in order to ensure good standards of transparency and accountability.
About AFEW International
AFEW International is an international network of civil society organisations that is dedicated to improving the health of key populations. AFEW International is fundamentally a humanitarian organization contributing to the development of just, compassionate, open and democratic societies, firmly based on the principles of social justice, which affirms the dignity of each human being and emphasizes the need for tolerance and co-operation.
With a focus on Eastern Europe and Central Asia (EECA), AFEW International strives to promote health and increase access to prevention, treatment and care for public health concerns such as HIV, TB, viral hepatitis, and sexual and reproductive health and rights.
Board meetings – Attend Board meetings and provide constructive input to the agenda items with active participation.
Expertise – Offer her/his specific expertise in the development and implementation of AFEW International’s activities.
Funding – Provide new insights and play a role in the fundraising strategy; help looking for funding opportunities and liaise with possible donors.
Ambassador – Act as an ambassador for AFEW International and advocate of its mission at events, conferences, network meetings etc.
- Experts in HIV/AIDS, viral hepatitis, TB and harm reduction.
- Member from the communities AFEW works with, i.e. people who use drugs, sex workers, men who have sex with men, and prisoners from Eastern Europe and Central Asia. With a preference of a representative from the people who use drugs community.
- Have a track record relevant to AFEW International’s work and client groups.
- No conflict of interest, i.e. not belonging to a structure or organization that is funded by AFEW International or with which AFEW International has a financial relationship AFEW during their term of office.
- Previous experience highly desirable.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken). Russian is appreciated.
- Attend a minimum of one all-day board meeting currently held in Amsterdam, and at least three telephone conferences per year.
- Willing to serve at least one three-year term.
- Willing to invest some time on a case-by-case basis in between Board meetings on general and specific matters.
Please send your CV (no more than 5 pages) and a letter of motivation before 15 March 2018 to AFEW’s Executive Director Anke van Dam at anke_van-dam@AFEW.nl.